X
ADVERTISEMENT

Blood Type Calculator - Punnett Square

Blood Type Calculator


Why use a Blood type Calculator?

Generally, a lot of people don’t know what type of blood they have and don’t have proper knowledge about the consequences of not knowing the blood group. We have developed this calculator for every gender and age group to let you know which blood type you have an easier way. If you are expecting a baby, you can even check your child's blood type as well according to the blood types of your parents.


What Blood type do you have?

There are four types of blood groups i.e. A, B, AB, and O blood group. Each of the groups has different antigens like (carbohydrates and proteins) combined on the surface membrane of a red blood cell.

Your blood group can be found by the presence or absence of these antigens and the presence of some specific antibodies in the blood plasma.

Your blood type combination is in the genetics; every person inherits from their parents. A genotype blood group calculator is determined by a single gene, each person has two alleles that can describe your blood type:

  • Blood type A: either AA or A0
  • Blood type B: either BB or B0
  • Blood type AB: alleles AB
  • Blood type O: alleles OO

Here is a blood type inheritance chart for further understanding:

Blood Type Chart

PARENT 1 AB AB AB AB B A A O O O
PARENT 2 AB B A O B B A B A O
Possible Blood Type Of Child O        
A    
B    
AB          

 

The Alleles AB are dominant, the O allele is recessive and people with the OO allele are going to have an O blood group only.


Which parent determines the blood type of the child?

Are you already thinking about what type of blood group your baby will have?

The child gets one allele from each parent and just like if you have A and your partner is having an AB blood group that means you have AA or AO allele and your partner has BB or BO.

You can use our blood type Punnett square calculator to calculate the genotype of your offspring.

Otherwise, here is how you can calculate your baby’s blood type manually:

  • Write down your blood type and your type’s allele like AA or AO.
  • According to your allele, your child will probably have A-type (75% chance) or O-type (25% chance).
  • Write down your partner’s blood type and alleles which will be AB.  
  • The child will have a 50% chance of A blood type and 50% B type.
  1. After that calculate the chances of genotypes:
  • Chances of your Child's genotype is AA is 75% * 50% = 37.5%.
  • Chances of your Child's genotype is AB is 75% * 50% = 37.5%.
  • Chances of your Child's genotype is A0 is 25% * 50% = 12.5%.
  • Chances of your Child's genotype is B0 is 25% * 50% = 12.5%.
  1. Afterward, add the values of AA and AO and AB and BO together.
  • 37.5% + 12.5%' = 50%.chance for A blood group
  • 12.5%chance for B blood group
  • 37.5%.chance for AB blood group  

There is another way to calculate; analyzing Rh+ and Rh- groups.

  • If both parents have Rh-positive then there are 93.75% chances of the baby having Rh+ blood type and 6.25% chances of having a blood type with Rh-
  • In case having Rh- type in both parents then there is a 100% chance that the baby will have Rh- blood type.
  • If one parent is Rh-positive and the other Rh-negative, then the blood type probability calculator is 75% for Rh+ and 25% probability of having Rh- blood type.

Here is a chart of blood types for parents and children blood type.

Parental Rh type Child's Rh type
+ and + + or -
+ and - + or -
- and - -

You can predict the blood type manually but the better and easier way is to use our baby blood type calculator.


What is Punnett square?

This method is introduced by Reginald C Punnett. Punnett square is a square diagram to determine the percentage of genotypes in the offspring. Many genotypes can easily be determined using a punnet square. The Punnett square blood type is an even rundown of potential blends of maternal dominance with fatherly genes.

This system utilizes to inspect the genotypical result probabilities of the posterity of a solitary quality gene or when crossing numerous characteristics from the guardians.

How to use blood type Punnett square calculator?

By following the below-mentioned steps, you can determine the percentage of genotypes.

  1. Specify whether you want to go for monohybrid or dihybrid.
  2. Choose the mother’s and father’s genes.
  3. You’ll get a table of punnet squares.

Blood Donation

Due to different blood types; a limiting factor is that not everyone can donate to anyone in need of blood in different cases.

To donate blood you need to have no history of HIV Aids and be at least 16 years old with parental consent with a minimum weight of 110 pounds and some other requirements.

There are some rules as well that are needed to be followed for blood transfer:

A subject having A or B blood type can receive blood from everyone excluding AB, and can donate to people with the same type or AB blood group only.

Persons with AB blood type can receive blood from everyone else, but cannot donate blood to everybody except the same AB type. 

O blood type people can donate blood to anyone of any type but can only receive blood from persons having O blood type.

Rh+ blood type can donate only to the same type but can receive blood from both Rh+ and Rh-.

Rh- blood type can donate to both Rh-negative and Rh-positive blood types but can receive blood only from the Rh-.


How to predict Blood type using a calculator?

If you want to know your offspring's blood type then insert your and your partner’s blood type in the child blood type calculator above to determine the probable blood group of your baby. 

The same thing is needed when you want to know your blood type. The results our blood type generator provides are not 100% accurate as these results are based on average not diagnosis although a simpler and easier way to know the blood type of anyone in seconds.


References
1. What Are Red Blood Cells? by Urmc.rochester.edu
2. Reginald C. Punnett Introduced the Punnett square Diagram

Need Custom Calculator?

With Over Online Tools, eCalculator.co Helping Millions of Students, Teachers, Businessmen & Nutritionists Every Month.

ADVERTISEMENT

Related Articles